Opening in 1929, this was the first of five “Loew’s Wonder Theatres” promoted by the company. Its distinctive features include the auditorium’s ceiling which mimicked a night sky and a clock tower with a statue of Saint George slaying a dragon. Closed after years of neglect, it was completely restored by L&M, both exterior and interior.
Scope of work included:
- Restoration of the terra cotta façade
- Replication of the original bronze doors at the theatre entrance
- Reconstruction of the existing storefronts along the Grand Concourse
- Interior restoration including the finishes (plaster, gold leaf, etc.) new restrooms, new concession stand and new ticket booth
- Auditorium restoration including statuary, starlit plaster ceiling, orchestra pit, stage, dressing rooms and 3,850 seats